What does a world population of 7.8 billion people have in common?
November 9, 2020
The world’s population, as of this month, is 7.8 billion people. That is a staggering amount of people. This number was provided by the United Nations and their source was Worldometer (https://www.worldometers.info/). Following a Google search of Worldometer, I came upon another source of interesting stats by Countrymeters (https://countrymeters.info/en). Some highlights of those web sites include the following.
1) Men vs. Women: There are slightly more men in the world than women.
2) Age Breakdown: 25% are under the age of 15; 61.9% are between the ages of 15 – 64; and 7.3% are over age 65.
3) Populous Countries: 70% of the population live in 20 of the most populous countries. The top six, in order, are: China, India, United States, Indonesia, Brazil, and Pakistan.
4) Largest Population: Of the top six countries just mentioned above, two of those countries have a population of more than 1 billion (China and India), with 36% of the world’s population in those two countries alone.
5) Urban vs. Rural: 54% live in urban areas; 46% live in rural areas.
WHAT DO STATISTICS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING
You might be asking yourself about now, what does the world’s population have to do with the title of this blog? Let me elaborate.
There are 7.8 billion people in this world, and each one of them has questions and concerns with anything and everything. After all, living in a world of sin, there is plenty to talk about, have anxiety over, and in wonderment of what is going on and how to deal with things. Some questions may include:
1) What is my purpose in life?
2) Why am I here?
3) What should I do?
4) What is going on in the world?
5) Why are people acting the way they do?
6) How can I feel better?
7) How can I stop feeling lonely?
THE BEST INSTRUCTION BOOK FOR LIVING EACH DAY (B-I-B-L-E)
People are so busy looking for answers in the wrong places, yet there is ONE book that will give them the answers they are looking for. Either they have forgotten that the answers are in the Bible, have never attempted to read it thinking it is too hard to understand, or are not aware that the Bible exists.
If you could find all the answers you are looking for in the Bible, why would you not read it?
SCRIPTURE REASSURANCE AND PROMISE
We have been reassured and promised that God will hear us when we call and ask Him for help. In Psalms 145:18-19 we are told, “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desire of those who fear Him, he also hears their cry and saves them.”
Another great promise is found in the book of Matthew. In chapter 7 verse 7 it says, “Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find it, knock and it will be opened to you.”
We are also told in 2 Timothy 3:16 that, “All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
HOW TO BEGIN
When you have questions and are looking for the answers in this life, sit down in a quiet place and pray to our Heavenly Father. Pray as though He is sitting beside you. Talk to him like you would talk to a close and trusted friend. Ask Him to show you the way. Ask Him to help you understand what you are reading when you study the Bible.
We all wrestle with the big questions in life. Yet a common denominator to those questions is that the answers are found in the Bible. Jesus wants to help us. He wants to spend time with us. So, what are you waiting for?